is fedora really bleeding edge?

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sun Mar 4 20:56:45 UTC 2012

On 03/04/2012 12:34 PM, Stuart McGraw wrote:
> Why do many packages follow the upstream faithfully
> yet others seem to use a boat-anchor update policy?
> Is there an official policy about this or is it a
> matter of individual packagers' choice?

Partly it's because you're using F15 not F16.  The package maintainer
may not feel that it's worth the effort to update an older release even
if it's still officially maintained.  As an example, I skipped F15,
sticking with F14 until F16 came out and the most recent version of
Firefox was in the 3.7x series, even though Firefox 10.0x was available
from mozilla.com simply because nobody was willing to put in the work
packaging a more recent version for an "obsolescent" release.