is fedora really bleeding edge?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Mar 4 21:06:03 UTC 2012

Am 04.03.2012 21:34, schrieb Stuart McGraw:
> One of the reason for using Fedora is quick access
> to the latest software -- sometimes even too quick
> (hence the "bleeding edge" moniker.)

so update your fedora, other users are happy not get pushed
everything in the matter "it builds it works"

> But I have noticed this is not true for some things.
> For example, in Fedora 15 python seems frozen at
> python-2.7.1 even though -2.7.2 was released a long
> time ago and fixes a number of bugs.

so why are you using F15 if you want "bleeding edge"

> Another example is postgresql which remains in the
> 9.0.x release although 9.1.x contains a number of
> significant new features.

again: why are you not updating your Fedora if yu want
bleeding egde?

> Why do many packages follow the upstream faithfully
> yet others seem to use a boat-anchor update policy?
> Is there an official policy about this or is it a
> matter of individual packagers' choice?

because it si for many packages simply unacceptable
to blindly update them since the whole distribution
may get unstable like upgrade blindly python
and break possibly the package managment and other
dependencies