lvm

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Mar 4 23:56:05 UTC 2012

Am 05.03.2012 00:35, schrieb Peter Larsen:
> We're not longer using legacy grub. Even with F14 we shipped Grub2 (it
> may even have been included earlier - not sure). We've had this ability
> for a long time now.

uninteresting in this context
you shipped and it was good to have a sepearte /boot

you and i do not know the future and somewhere in
time there will be ext5 and GRUB2 not support it
who knows?

i am one of the people not reinstall their systems
because i am moving around disks between new and old
and the most interesting ones re even not physicasl

>> as i installed my systems with a 500 MB /boot there
>> was no imagination that ext4 can be relevant in the
>> future, but as it was released it was easy to use
>> it for system/data
>
> And the fact that we increased the requirement from 200 to
> 500MB never caused you issues?

which requirement?

/dev/sda1     ext4    189M   40M  150M  21% /boot
2.6.42.7-1.fc15.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Feb 21 01:22:05 UTC 2012

well, majority of my machines are VMware ESX guests
/boot is there even a own disk
so increase what you like

* shutdown
* klick -> drag
* gparted
* upgrade

> So because of this uncertainty, you want to pick the least flexible
> setup as default and "not dumb"? Seems to me, that it should be the
> other way around.

/boot is for the fucking bootloader and the kernel
this is not for a entire operating system
so if this needs ever more than 500 MB some
poor people made big mistakes

>> but you can setup your systems with the expierence
>> of the past or ignore it and hope all will be fine
>
> I'm not ignoring anything. You seem to be though.

i am the one who upgraded his last machine
from Fedora 5 until Fedora 14 and maintaining
20 servers originally installed with F9, currently
on F15

>> i chose smater setups and ignoring defaults made
>> for "click, next,c lick, next" users
>
> You've yet to explain why it's smarter to be static and unflexible, on
> top of not having the availability of snapshot backups and other
> features provided by LVM.

because my snapshots are mostly done on VMware ESX level and
on workstations i am pretty fine with my RAID10, complexer
things are even their in virtual machines because the have
much more snapshot/backup/restore capabilities

and yes on the workstation the disks are flexible by size
/dev/md2      ext4    3,7T  1,6T  2,1T  44% /mnt/data