is fedora really bleeding edge?

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Mar 5 02:07:17 UTC 2012

On 3/4/2012 5:51 PM, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:

> `yum install python3` just installs the "python3" package containing
> the Python 3 interpreter, while `yum install python3\*` installs every
> package that begins with "python3", e.g. the Python 3 interpreter and
> all library packages for it included in the Fedora repository.
>
> -T.C.

T.C.:

Thanks. Once I figured out what Reindl was telling me (as in I had to
break my mindset that "/" was a directory slash), it all made sense. As
mentioned in my "SOLVED" email, I did "yun list selinux\*" and was able
to see exactly what was there.

After I sent that, I tried it for python3 ... I am so glad I didn't just
type "yum install python3\*" when I saw everything that was available
but not installed.

No matter how much I read/learn about bash, it still remains a "way of
doing things" that is somehow alien to me. I rue not making more use of
it earlier in my life so I could avoid this "old dog not learning new
tricks" problem that I keep hitting.

Paul