telnet to adjacent computer fails

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 09:19:33 UTC 2012

On 5 March 2012 01:48, T.C. Hollingsworth <tchollingsworth at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 6:37 PM, Tim Evans <tkevans at tkevans.com> wrote:
>> On 03/04/2012 08:35 PM, don fisher wrote:
>>

>>> What does telnet require that ping does not?
>>

>> A running telnet daemon on the destination host.
>
> Yep.  Try SSH.  Besides being nine quintillion times more secure, it's
> generally included by default on Fedora systems.

This isn't entirely true depending what you're trying to do.
Connecting to a shell on the host via a telnet session is definitely
insecure (I nearly said 'less secure', but it's not secure at all,
don't do it over a network that anyone else can access). But you can
use telnet to do things you can't do with ssh, like trying to connect
to other services as part of troubleshooting, for example NFS or http.

--
imalone