is fedora really bleeding edge?

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 5 16:04:41 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-03-04 at 17:01 -0800, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> On 3/4/2012 1:46 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> >
> > Run: yum install python3\*
> > and see what happens.
>
> Aaron:
>
> I just went through all the man pages and docs on yum and couldn't see
> what this syntax meant. To get python3, I do "yum install python3" ...
> what does the \* get me?
>
> My apologies in advance if I am missing the obvious ...
> Thanks,
> Paul

Evidently we are entering a state of confusion. I was responding to
someone [maybe not you] who said F16 does not support python3. We seem
to agree that it does.

Now the \* comes from a bash rule. If you enter an argument like
python3* bash will try to expand the argument before it is submitted to
yum for processing. Using something like python3\* delays the expansion
of the argument until yum is processing it so other rpms whose names
start with python3 will be downloaded.
They can't stop us... we're on a mission from God! -- The Blues Brothers
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net