Problem with su -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Mon Mar 5 17:35:17 UTC 2012

On 05/03/12 11:35, David Quigley wrote:

> Ok so for some odd reason root's home directory isn't labeled
> properly. You can see this by typing ls -Z in / and seeing that /root
> is labeled default_t and then checking what it should be by typing
> matchpathcon /root. Did you have SELinux disabled at any point? If so
> you might want to relabel your entire system (" and reboot). If not
> just type restorecon -Rvv /root and it should fix up all of the labels
> properly.
>
> Dave

        Ok, I looked at the things you suggested and yes it was as you said.

        I have never disabled SELinux on either of these computers, not
        even run in permissive.

        I did restorecon -Rvv /root and then things appeared to work
        normally again except for the strange prompt "bash-4.2#"

        So the I did the "touch /.autorelabel" and rebooted, the
        computer churned through a massive effort relabeling and when it
        finally settled things seem to work normally except I still get
        that strange prompt "bash-4.2#" when it has always been
        "[root at box6 bobg]#."

        I guess it doesn't matter since this is what I see when I
        investigate:

            [bobg at box9 ~]$ pwd
            /home/bobg

            [bobg at box9 ~]$ su
            Password:
            bash-4.2# pwd
            /home/bobg

        So I guess I still have root permissions as user bobg; it's just
        the prompt display that's changed now, an insignificant [I hope]
        mystery.

        Thanks for your help,

        Bob