lvm

Peter Larsen plarsen at famlarsen.homelinux.com
Mon Mar 5 18:28:00 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-03-05 at 17:12 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-03-04 at 15:13 -0500, Peter Larsen wrote:
> > The "partition type" is something DOS/Windows uses (to a degree) and
> > for backwards compatability reasons, you still see MS products use
> > these labels. Linux, however, does not adhere to or use the partition
> > types at all.
>
> I do not think so.  As I recall, set a partition up as being "swap" and
> the system automatically finds it as a swap partition.  Also, formatting
> tools can read the partition type, and automatically choose the same
> file system, when formatting it.

Anaconda may use it - but I doubt it. It's a lot safer to simply look
for the signature of the partition content to see what it is. It's how
md and lvm is detected, so why not swap and ext2/3/4?

What "format" (presuming you mean mkfs) reads the partition type? I
cannot find anything in man pages or anything that indicates it reads
anything to determine the filesystem type. Ie. how would it access the
partition table if you do "mkfs /dev/sda2"?? The table is on /dev/sda
not 2.

> Of course one can create a DOS partition, for example, then reformat it
> as a Linux one using an EXT3 file system, as an override, and the system
> won't care what the partition type was.  But that doesn't fit into Linux
> not using the partition types at all.

I've not seen it use - not even during installation. It would be
interesting to see an example - so far I've never seen any indication it
uses it, not even during upgrade/installation.

--
Best Regards
  Peter Larsen

Wise words of the day:
I have a map of the United States.  It's actual size.  I spent last summer
folding it.  People ask me where I live, and I say, "E6".
		-- Steven Wright