Problem with su -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Tue Mar 6 11:09:22 UTC 2012

On 06/03/12 05:15, Ed Greshko wrote:
> OK.... You have an unmodified ~/.bash_profile and a slightly different
> ~/.bashrc from my fresh install. The differences are not significant.
> The bottom line is that in ~/.bashrc you have if [ -f /etc/bashrc ];
> then . /etc/bashrc Which should source the file. The place where the
> setting of PS1 takes place is here....
>>        # Turn on checkwinsize
>>        shopt -s checkwinsize
>>        [ "$PS1" = "\\s-\\v\\\$ " ]&&  PS1="[\u@\h \W]\\$ "
> Basically it is saying....  if PS1 is set to '\s-\v\$ ' change it to
> '[\u@\h \W]\$ ' .
>
> So, it would seem, one of 2 things are going on.  Either the file isn't
> being sourced or it isn't set as expected.
>
> What I would do is modify /etc/bashrc to ....
>
>    shopt -s checkwinsize
>    echo "PS1 is set to $PS1">  /tmp/huh
>    [ "$PS1" = "\\s-\\v\\\$ " ]&&  PS1="[\u@\h \W]\\$ "
>
> And then perform an su -.

    Ok, is this what you are suggesting I do?

           shopt -s checkwinsize
        #  [ "$PS1" = "\\s-\\v\\\$ " ] && PS1="[\u@\h \W]\\$ "
           echo "PS1 is set to $PS1" > /tmp/huh
           [ "$PS1" = "\\s-\\v\\\$ " ] && PS1="[\u@\h \W]\\$ "

    Having done that the prompt is still "bad." I even tried re-booting,
    no change.

        [bobg at box9 ~]$ su
        Password:

        bash-4.2# ll /etc/bashrc*
        bash: ll: command not found

        bash-4.2# ls /etc/bashrc*
        /etc/bashrc  /etc/bashrc~  /etc/bashrc.wrkng

    I saved the original to /etc/bashrc.wrkng. Notice that ll doesn't
    work either, must be related?