Problem with su -

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 6 14:29:03 UTC 2012

On 2012/03/06 01:49, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>        [ "$PS1" = "\\s-\\v\\\$ " ] && PS1="[\u@\h \W]\\$ "

Bob, it's this line. Find it by looking for the line below it:
shopt -s checkwinsize

Your /etc/bashrc file is not getting run in the case you cite, using
an unadorned "su" to get to root privileges but not root configuration.
So you've intentionally or unintentionally done something which prevents
/etc/bashrc from getting run during the configuration phase just after
entering the root password for "su".

So far nobody else seems to be saying "me too". So my conclusion is that
something you did messed it up. This is a maze of twisty little passages.
It may be hard to figure it out.

The tentative obvious solution is to not use "su". Instead make it a proper
login shell using "su -". (I'm not sure there's a good case to use "su" alone,
ever. You generally use su to get a shell that behaves like a root shell with
all the root utilities available without having to use full path names.)

{^_^}