Problem with su -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Tue Mar 6 15:03:28 UTC 2012

On 06/03/12 09:42, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 03/06/2012 09:32 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>>        Did that and that appears to have corrected the problem!
>>
>>         I thought I had determined those files were present earlier but
>>         it appears that I got confused with copying between users and
>>         computers. My apologies if I have prolonged the pain.
>>
>>         However I am grateful for all the help, thanks to all,
> For your own piece of mind, it would be nice to know how you managed to
> delete those files.  Debugging a self-inflicted problem is never easy
> for others.
>
> FYI, and I should have mentioned this earlier, you can get the standard
> .bashrc and .bash_profile from /etc/skel.

        All I recall is that something went wrong when doing yum install
        thunar. I was shuffling files around and the file manager was
        the simplest way to do it. I had a set of dvd's and wanted to
        transfer them to my NFS server for convenience. I realized that
        for some reason it wasn't installed and decided to install
        thunar. Not even certain if I did it from yumex or the command
        line, it's all routine stuff I do with little thought. Anyway I
        had to remove and re-install and that must have triggered this
        episode.

        The problem was not apparent until a couple of days later when I
        switched on that computer.

        I can't deny it being self-inflicted and I don't think I implied
        it was a Fedora problem.

        All I can say is thanks for your time spent on this. I will make
        more notes, perhaps solve another screw up on my own with that
        information.

        Bob

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD