Problem with su -

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Mar 6 15:55:03 UTC 2012

On 03/06/2012 11:44 PM, jdow wrote:
> Not all - there is a strong hint everything in the /root directory was
> removed. The fix may be as simple as the copy he performed. If the
> systems
> differ in any material ways, different things installed, he may have some
> lingering problems with missing files in /root. I think these days the
> missing files will tend to get recreated. So it might not be as bad as
> what
> I faced in the late 90s from a corrupted /root directory in Hurricane. I
> eventually solved it by reinstalling after incremental upgrades for a few
> releases. Finally one didn't work and the reinstall made everything
> happy.

Well, things have changed since the 90's.   There is nothing in /root
other than anaconda-ks.cfg, install.log, and install.log.syslog on all
of my systems plus a few other . files.  Nothing of any importance that
would cause things to fail.

--
Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own.
You may both be wrong. -- Dandemis