The death of Hibernate?

Rick Stevens rstevens at corp.alldigital.com
Wed Mar 7 01:03:43 UTC 2012

On 03/06/2012 03:07 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Tuesday, 6. March 2012. 17.42.41 Anthony R Fletcher wrote:
>> If you do a fresh boot you lose your current state....and that is
>> valuable. So hibernate (for long periods of down time, for example for a
>> long flight) is very useful.
>
> What happened to the "save session" stuff that should be provided by all
> relevant desktop environments? AFAIK, that can (and should) be used to save
> the current state of your desktop across a reboot. Is there some aspect of
> session-saving that doesn't give you back your desktop "state" in the way you
> left it on logout?
>
> I mean, it should open the same apps, keep them on same desktops, etc. I
> thought the concept of a "session" was invented precisely for this purpose.
> Using hibernate to achieve the same effect is possible, but should not be
> necessary, right?

No. There is no way for the desktop to, say, know just where the hell
you were if you were editing a document or viewing a movie or anything
of that type of transient nature. The _application_ knows where it was,
the desktop only knows where the windows were and how your desktop
looked.

I use suspend during the trips between my office and home (short),
hibernate to disk if it'll be an extended trip (like a plane trip).
Hibernate is an extremely useful tool. Do not confuse it with "save
session". They're very different beasties and meant for different
things.