synchronize time

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 7 19:05:14 UTC 2012

Tim, please read fully and respond to the issues raised. You are falling
into the imprecision of language trap, too.

On 2012/03/06 22:23, Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-03-06 at 08:32 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>> I don't know why I keep responding to you. I said that cups browsing
>> does not work if you don't set UTC. Over and over that is what I said.
>
> I respond because that is wrong.  It does work.  CUPS browsing does work
> for people with UTC set and for people without UTC set.  It works for
> me, it works for them.
>
> You have a fault, it's not CUPS, and it's been pointed out where the
> problem actually is.
>
> You are misdiagnosing cause and effect.

Now you are being imprecise. Do you mean UTC time zone setting or UTC
hardware clock setting with and without agreement between actual hardware
clock setting and the UTC/LOCAL indication in /etc/adjtime (the check box
on the time zone setting tool)?

This is known working:
     HARDWARE    CHECKBOX    TIMEZONE
        UTC         UTC         ANY
        LOCAL       LOCAL       ANY

These are known to break at least NTP:
     HARDWARE    CHECKBOX    TIMEZONE
        UTC         LOCAL       ANY
        LOCAL       UTC         ANY

Do all four work for cups? (I'd rather suspect it would unless there is
an SSL connection being set or there is a sanity check in CUPS that does
not seem to be published.)

>> Both the hardware and system clock were set correctly which was why it
>> took so long to find the problem.
>
> According to what you have said, over numerous messages, you have *not*
> set your time correctly.  You've misunderstood how the clocks should be
> configured.  That is, the time the clock is set for, *and* *all* the
> parameters that describe to the system how the clock is set.

You still ignore the correct two places that must agree for "everything"
to work, the setting for the motherboard clock must be either UTC or local
time and that information must be telegraphed to the OS with the value in
the third line of "/etc/adjtime" which is apparently set by the appropriate
checkbox on the time zone setting panel.

> The simple proof is, if you have set the clock configuration correct,
> CUPS browsing will work.

He has said he made it correct. Apparently he meant making the motherboard
clock and the checkbox agree. He was NOT talking about timezone setting.

> Until you fix the actual problem, explained numerous times, you going to
> experience other problems.  One of them is going to be hitting your head
> against other people who keep pointing out what you're doing wrong.  It
> won't stop being wrong just because you don't like it.
>
> And corrections aren't just made for your benefit, whether or not you
> accept them, they're also made for people researching the same problems,
> so they get the correct answers.

> for setting the clock, and do it correctly.  Do not assume that because
> your clock appears to show the correct time, according to you looking at
> it and comparing it with some non-computer clock.
>
> NB:  You can't just change the UTC setting on and off to test things
> (such as CUPS browsing).  You have to set the time of the clock in
> accordance with the UTC setting, too.

At worst Aaron is guilty ONLY of imprecision in telling us what he had
to do. We cleared this up in private emails.

{^_^}