switching on wireless after minimal install: f16

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Mar 7 21:22:23 UTC 2012

Once upon a time, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com> said:
> If I may chime in a bit... If anaconda uses NetworkManager for the minimal
> install, then NM should be a part of the minimal install, right? Or else, NM
> should be available on the minimal install boot media, so that the OP can use
> it somehow to activate his wireless network.

anaconda is also running X, but that doesn't mean X should be part of
the minimal install.

There will always be arguments about what is "minimal"; to me, minimal
would only have the bare minimum needed to boot and log in (kernel, boot
loader, init system, shell, and basic editor), bring up basic networking
(/sbin/ip and maybe /sbin/ifup and the old "network" service), and
install other software (rpm and yum).  Everything else could be added
from there.

I think it is fair to only support basic wired networking in the minimal
install (things that the most they might need from userspace is a
firmware file and /sbin/ip).  Once you go down the path of adding
wireless, you need daemons (at a minimum wpa_supplicant for most
networks), and then you'll get arguments for other networking methods
(Bluetooth, PPP/PPPoE, cellular, VPNs, etc.).  Now your minimal install
is not so minimal, and you've added a bunch of stuff that isn't
applicable to lots of minimal installs.

If you need wireless on your installed system and want an otherwise
minimal system, select "Minimal" and then customize the package set to
add NetworkManager (and/or whatever is needed for your setup).
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>