Tech questions on Grub2 and use of gparted on Fedora 16.

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Thu Mar 8 05:36:36 UTC 2012

Possible a little off topic, but issues effect Fedora 16 sytems and
grub2. Haven't been able to find detailed info on exactly what is
going on with the grub2. If someone knows the info, or where I
could find it. Thanks.

Just ran into some strange issues with grub2 and not sure what
happened. Did the process on some machines, and it worked fine,
and others it did not. Not sure if it was something with the
grub2-install process, or using gparted.

I have systems that were updated to Fedora 16 as clean install
from DVD using a custom setup, since machines already had XP
and Fedora 14, but had it wipe the old system. It had the grub2
boot system setup, but had the first partition for the XP starting at
sector 63, but all seemed fine.

Later I did the grub2-install --recheck and it gave a message
about the area being to small.

On a test system, I booted with a parted magic cd, and reduced
the size of the boot partition from 1024M to 1023M (sda2) and
moved it to the right. Rebooted and everything was ok. Rebooted
from the parted magic cd, and moved the XP partition (sda1) over
to the right. Rebooted. No problem. Then ran the grub2-install
--recheck and it went thru with no problem. So, ran it again without
the recheck process, and everything seemed to work fine. So I
wanted to do the same with the other systems.

The Fedora 16 has the same version of gparted, so I did the
resizing, and moving within Fedora 16.

No error messages, but the grub not boot. Would come up with
the first little grub message, but then restart.  Did know how much
of the disk, the grub2 was using so copied the 2048 sectors from
the working system, and restored it. That got the grub2 working,
but then the windows XP wasn't. Had to reformat the partition, and
then restore the ntfsclone image of it and now things seem to be
ok.

But would like to know what sectors grub2 is actually using on the
system. In the past, copying the first track would be enough, but
on a clean install system the starting of the first partition is 2048?
Is it using all that.

Even thou the partitions were not mounted in Fedora 16 when
using gparted, perhaps the Fedora 16 didn't not the changes
during the shutdown process and could have been using the data
at boot?

The XP could have been doing the same thing of writing
something outside the actual partitions.

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI        11898901.476152   |   EINSTEIN     7448540.769852
ROSETTA      4291062.427399   |   ABC         11535206.710973