wmic from Linux, wmi-client or winexe

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Thu Mar 8 17:51:09 UTC 2012

Hi folks.

Judging by google this is a can of worms that has been opened a number of
times but I thought I'd have another go.

I am (re-)implementing a backup solution using Bacula, which has got me
looking at administering Windows clients from my Linux Bacula server.

I have managed to get winexe working and can connect to Windows clients.
However, as soon as I try to run wmic, with or without arguments it just
hangs.

I have tried using echo and STDIN redirect to try to resolve this as some
posts seem to indicate that wmic is waiting input but this has not made any
difference.

by VNCing to a client and doing Start->Run->cmd.exe I can use wmic no problem.

Can anyone help?

Gary