Problem with RTL8178

L yuanlux at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 23:41:35 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 4:25 AM, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:
> On 03/08/2012 02:44 AM, Jonathan Allen wrote:
>>

>>    a. F16 without Gnome 3

I use ndiswrapper to make Windows XP RTL(not sure the version??) USB
wireless adapter driver work under Linux (on lubuntu).

Here the ubuntu version steps, hope offer your so0me hints

    Plug the device
    Enter following commands in the terminal.

    sudo su

-Perform following in root.

    apt-get update
    apt-cache search ndiswrapper

-In it you can find ndiswrapper-common, ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
packages. Install them by,

    apt-get install ndiswrapper-common
    apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils-1.9

-Change the folder to where the windows XP drivers for your network device is.

    ndiswrapper -i filename.inf

-Give the name of .inf file for the driver. For DWA-120 it is netA5AGU.inf

    ndiswrapper -m
    modprobe ndiswrapper

Add the line "ndiswrapper" (without quotes) at the end of the file
/etc/modules using command "sudo gedit /etc/modules" to load the
driver every time the system loads. If you do not want to load the
driver automatically, do not edit this file. Instead, enter following
command at terminal to turn on the adapter.

    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

3. reboot the machine

All done. You can check whether your device working by typing "iwconfig".

--
   °v°
 /( $ )\ Linux Toys