Permanently set screen brightness

Andras Simon szajmi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 09:45:28 UTC 2012

2012/3/9, Bruno Martins <bmomartins at gmail.com>:

> I have that file, but setting that value to 10 is the same as going to
> Screen GUI and scrolling the brightness to the maximum.

Yes, that was the point. If you can set the brightness from the
command line, you have a chance to automatically set it.

> Value doesn't get fixed after restart. Maybe GNOME 3.x is overwriting
> this setting.

What do you mean by "doesn't get fixed"?
/sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness is not an ordinary file;
it gets recreated whenever you reboot. That's why I suggested
setting it in /etc/rc.local. Of course, this will still not help if
gnome indeed modifies the brightness. But then there's probably a
gnome-specific way to set it once and for all.
There may also be a way to make gnome run your script after startup.

Andras