GRUB2 / Kernel-Parameters

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 01:30:05 UTC 2012

On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 01:53:07 +0100
Reindl Harald wrote:

> BULLSHIT: "/etc/default/grub" is ignored
> it is displayed by "grub2-mkconfig" somewhere

Correct. Anaconda does use /etc/default/grub when it builds
the initial grub.cfg file, but after that all updates are
done by grubby when installing new kernels, and grubby does
the old same thing of just using the existing grub.cfg
as a skeleton and plugging in a new kernel with the
same params as the kernels already there.

What I generally do is directly edit /etc/default/grub
(just in case someone foolishly runs grub2-mkconfig)
and also directly edit grub.cfg.

So far, that approach has worked for me.

Personally I think the mkconfig thing is an abomination
sort of a zombie lilo risen from the dead. I wish fedora
would get rid of mkconfig, /etc/default/grub and all the
other nonsense and just have the grub.cfg file as the
one and only one place where boot info lives.