Is there some trick to booting F16 minimal install CD?

stan gryt2 at q.com
Sat Mar 10 18:29:01 UTC 2012

On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 11:34:39 -0600 (CST)
Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:

> > On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Michael Hennebry
> > <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:

> >> Any ideas?
>
> From the lack of other responses, I gather the answer is just one.
> As noted in another post, my memory is ok.
> I really hate installing.

I think you should ask your question on the test and development
lists.  They are more likely than users to have an answer to a question
like this.

And you might want to be a little more specific about what "doesn't
work" means.  Does the CD not boot?, Does it hang after you start?,
etc.  I recall putting a stanza in grub that started a dvd vmlinuz and
pointed to a dvd iso on disk, and I think it worked, but that was years
ago, and everything has changed so much it might not anymore.

I now do minimal network installs, and upgrade them by installing
packages that preupgrade dowloaded to upgrade the previous version.  I
leave that version as a fallback while tuning the new version.  Saves a
lot of stress, but means there are always at least two active versions
at any given time.  In the age of multi-terabyte disks, that isn't
really a problem, for me at least.  I have permanent partitions of
things that I keep across versions, and I add links to those in the new
home partition via fstab, so they are immediately there.  So upgrading
is mostly just a little tweaking of configurations in home.  It takes a
few weeks to iron out the quirks, and I'm comfortable again.  The F15
changes to Gnome made my video hardware obsolete for the big two, but it
still does everything I need it for, so I stopped at F15 until I either
upgrade the hardware or change window managers and get comfortable with
the new one.

I keep looking at NixOS with its space consuming but dependency error
free approach, and continuous upgrade model.  It is a true rolling
distribution.  It uses KDE as its default desktop, and so if / when
I upgrade video I'll probably give it a whirl.