Another Pulseaudio Adventure

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 10 21:36:45 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-03-10 at 15:24 -0500, Fedora User wrote:
> I made the "mistake," last night, of powering off with the sound muted.
>
> For reasons that I will NEVER understand PA decides to select the next
> sound device if the first one is muted. That would be the HDMI output
> (from the same sound card). The analog output is then not an option
> under hardware settings.
>
> Usually, I can straighten this out with a pulseaudio --kill &&
> pulseaudio -D. Now, however, these commands reset the audio back to the
> remembered state (muted) and, although the analog output device is now
> available, it refuses to produce any sound. PA is profoundly confused
> by muting.
>
> To add insult to injury, just examining the hardware requires the
> additional "apply" click when nothing has changed; it's just one further
> nuisance.
>
> A reboot sends the sound back to muted no matter how I set the mixer
> before rebooting. This is all EXTREMELY f*cking frustrating.
>
> WHEN will developers finally accept the FACT that PA has been a problem
> since it was first introduced? For years I could harmlessly remove the
> damned thing but that is no longer really an option.

I assume you are frustrated but let me make a suggestion while admitting
I know nothing about PA works in the situation. The fact that your audio
is muted must be recorded somewhere by PA. So it seems if we knew whore
that was a combination of changing that file and/or reinstalling PA
should be able to straighten things out.

Remember I am shooting from ignorance so don't laugh too hard at what I
am suggesting.
To err is human, To purr feline. -- Robert Byrne
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net