How to install drivers

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 13:01:36 UTC 2012

On Sunday, 11. March 2012. 3.28.22 Vinay Ratan wrote:
> I am new to fedora.

Welcome! :-)

> Actually I have installed it in dell latitude e6400 system of mine. I am not
> able to get sound and graphics. Please anyone give me command in terminal
> to install graphics and sound card in my system. I have nvidia quadro 160m
> graphics card and realteck sound card.

(1) open the terminal
(2) type "su -" (without quotes), and press return
(3) you will be asked for a password --- type in the root password
(4) now that you are logged in as root, make sure you have rpmfusion
repository installed, by running the following (beware the line wrapping in e-
mail, this should all be in one line):

yum localinstall --nogpgcheck
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-
stable.noarch.rpm http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-
nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm

(you may find these instructions on http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration )

(5) answer yes to any questions it asks
(6) finally, you want to install nVidia graphics drivers, by running:

yum install kmod-nvidia

(7) when the above command completes (it may take some time), type "exit" to
get out of the root shell
(8) reboot the machine.

After the reboot, your graphics should work in the biggest available
resolution, have hardware acceleration, and all that.

As for the sound, no driver installation should be necessary. You may want to
"yum install pavucontrol" (become root first, steps 1-3 above) and use it to
control your audio outputs (check that nothing is muted, etc.).

If it still doesn't work, we will need more details --- what exactly did you
try to do, what happened and what did you expect would happen.

HTH, :-)
Marko