Trying my first upgrade using FC16

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Mar 12 01:44:31 UTC 2012

I have a bunch of machines I would like to upgrade, and I was hoping to just run
an upgrade on them, booting from the DVD, selecting "upgrade" and going on as
usual on upgrade from media. Unfortunately I get another screen or so forward
and am told that an active network connection is *required* for the upgrade.
What is the secret to getting an upgrade from media? Why would it even suggest
using a network when the data is present on a nice new DVD?

This is somewhat of a show stopper, if we have to backup, reinstall, and restore
and reconfigure it will take much longer. I have done cold installs from DVD
without network, so that's not an issue, but if the upgrade can't be done
there's a fair chance they will not be upgraded, at least with Fedora.

At another office someone let it actually use a network connection, and it's not
using the DVD at all, zero, not happening. I assume we're doing something wrong.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>