OT: X-application over ssh tunnel

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 14:51:09 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 15:30, Hiisi <hiisi at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> I don't understand how to do this. I've created .ssh/config as you
> guided me. Now I have the following error:
> nc: getaddrinfo: hostname nor servname provided, or not known
> Isn't it because host B can't connect to host C directly? They're in
> different networks actually.

I think you missed my caveat comment on my second email. I was assuming
A was your workstation, apparently that is not the case.

Lets go over this again one step at a time.

Assuming this is your use case:
A(workstation) -> remoteB -> remoteC

The solution I provided earlier should be setup on your workstation (or
A in this case).

If on the other hand your use case is:
workstation -> remoteA -> remoteB -> remoteC

Then it needs to be extended by one more step like this:

# using B as proxy to C
Host    C
        User            useronC
        ProxyCommand    ssh -q B nc %h 22

Host    B
        User            useronB
        ProxyCommand    ssh -q A nc %h 22

Host    A
        User            useronA

So now when you do,

$ ssh -X A

the "Host A" takes effect.

$ ssh -X B

"Host B" config takes effect but it also uses "Host A".

$ ssh -X C

"Host C" config takes effect but it uses both "Host B" and "Host A". I
would also recommend reading the relevant section in `man ssh_config` to
understand better how this is working. If anything is unclear feel free
to ask.

GL

--
Suvayu