is fvwm orphaned in F17?

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Mon Mar 12 19:40:10 UTC 2012

Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> Perhaps, but it is not clear if the original guy will be
> happy:-( Especially if he does not agree with the patching....

He just may not have time to update fvwm anymore. Email and find out to
help other fvwm users like you.

> Thanks, how does one create a local repo? What is special about it?
> (Putting the file part, I can understand). But what makes for a local
> repo?

# yum install createrepo
# mkdir -p /var/ftp/pub/local/repo
$ cp -p fvwm.rpm /var/ftp/pub/local/repo
# cd /var/ftp/pub/local/repo; createrepo .

This will create the necessary yum metadata so that yum recognizes it as
a repo. The /etc/yum.repos.d directory contains files that point to
repos. You will need to create a file with a
baseurl=file:///var/ftp/pub/local/repo path. The path does not have to
be what I provided in the example. You will also need to set
"gpgcheck=0" unless you sign your package.

> How does it know the F package should be overridden? Because of the
> version number? If not, should I call the rpm/program something else?
> Such as fvwm-patched?

Because of the version number. 2.6 > 2.5