mysql replacement?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Mar 13 09:53:28 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-03-12 at 13:07 -0400, aragonx at dcsnow.com wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I did a little searching but didn't come up with anything.  I'm using
> Fedora 16 and am about to start doing some database work on some
> databases that were built in Mysql 5 (I think).  I know there have
> been some forks since Sun then Oracle took over the project.  Is Mysql
> still the "standard" or has one of the forks taken over?
>
> I know Mysql is still there and can be installed but it might be a
> good idea to move where everyone else is moving for compatibility.
> That is if people are moving at all.
----
percona and mariadb are the drop-in replacements for mysql but a simple
yum search for both turned up nada.

I know that there has been much made of this in Debian/Ubuntu server
circles primarily because Oracle has moved the bug tracker to a private,
registered server which makes it more difficult to identify which bugs
are/have been fixed and to patch versions and thus have added both
alternatives.

Craig

believed to be clean.