Can't browse Windows Network in Thunar

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Tue Mar 13 21:08:14 UTC 2012

Konstantin Svist wrote:
> Really? I thought the client simply makes a broadcast and all servers
> reply with what they have available...
> "myserver" is a linux box running samba, but connecting to a windows box
> works too, I believe.

The way SMB networking works[1] is that one computer on the network
declares itself the master browser. Other computers look for the MB and
ask it for the list of computers on the network.

On your "myserver" running the samba server, do you have its firewall
open for all the Samba ports (both server and client)?

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Neighborhood
     (paragraph starting with "In a workgroup of...")