redirect postgresql logs

Martín Marqués martin.marques at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 12:32:30 UTC 2012

2012/3/13 James Wilkinson <fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk>:
> Martín Marqués wrote:
>> That's the question. How can I redirect potgresql logs using systemd?
>> In the old System V times, I just edited /etc/init.d/postgresql and
>> looked for the line that had the execution of the server and jus
>> redirected the output to the file I wanted to have the logs
>> (/var/log/postgresql/postgresql.log in my case).
>>
>> I tried a bunch of things, like creating a file in
>> /etc/systemd/system/ with various options, but nothing. Postgresql
>> still logs to the files in data/pg_log/ which is ugly!
>
> The moral equivalent of this in systemd would be to copy
> /lib/systemd/system/postgresql.service to /etc/systemd/system, and
> modify the ExecStart= line.

Yes, that's what I was trying but with no luck. I changed the line to:

ExecStart=/usr/bin/pg_ctl start -D ${PGDATA} -s -o "-p ${PGPORT}" -w
-t 300 >> /var/log/postgresql/postgresql.log

But on start I get an error, and this on /var/log/messages:

Mar 14 09:27:33 endor pg_ctl[21782]: pg_ctl: demasiados argumentos de
línea de órdenes (el primero es «start»)
Mar 14 09:27:33 endor pg_ctl[21782]: Use «pg_ctl --help» para obtener
más información.
Mar 14 09:27:33 endor systemd[1]: postgresql.service: control process
exited, code=exited status=1
Mar 14 09:27:33 endor systemd[1]: Unit postgresql.service entered failed state.

If I execute the pg_ctl with those arguments from the command line, it
works ok, but systemd seems to be passing it wrong to the shell, and
there's where pg_ctl gives the error about "too much arguments". All I
changed was the append redirection to the log file I want.

Is there a way to see what systemd finally tried to execute?

> But have you noticed these lines in that file:
> # Where to send early-startup messages from the server (before the
> # logging options of postgresql.conf take effect)

Thats only for start up messages. I want all logs to go to a certain file.

> Hope this helps,
>
> James.
>
> --
> E-mail:     james@ | Mike Andrews' Corollary to Murphy's Law:
> aprilcottage.co.uk | In any sufficiently large collection of texts, every
>                   | possible misspeeling, as well as some that are not
>                   | possible, will occur.
> --

Martín Marqués
DBA, Programador, Administrador