PackageKit purpose?

Ranjan Maitra maitra at iastate.edu
Wed Mar 14 13:55:30 UTC 2012

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 08:40:12 -0400 Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 12:10:36 +0000
> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
> > What exactly is the purpose of PackageKit?
>
> I could but a sarcastic comment here, but I'd better not.
> I find it to be the most annoying interface yet in a
> long history of annoying interfaces to software package
> management systems.
>
> > Is it essential?
>
> It is not essential, but lots of things expect it to
> exist when they go to "helpfully" try and find missing
> packages for you (print system looking for printer drivers,
> bash looking for program you just typed the name of, etc).
>
> > It is used by yum in some way?
>
> It uses yum, it isn't used by yum. Mostly all it does
> is interfere with yum by periodically locking the
> updates while it is being "helpful".
> --

Unfortunately, I agree with those above sentiments and others on this
thread, but it can not be removed: why are these dependencies needed is
beyond me?

On my system, sudo yum erase PackageKit erases stuff like
gnome-bluetooth, presumably because of bluez and control-center. Not
clear why PackageKit should have these dependent on it.

Ranjan