Can't browse Windows Network in Thunar

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Mar 15 02:06:01 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 11:58 -0700, Konstantin Svist wrote:
> On 03/13/2012 02:08 PM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> > Konstantin Svist wrote:
> >> Really? I thought the client simply makes a broadcast and all servers
> >> reply with what they have available...
> >> "myserver" is a linux box running samba, but connecting to a windows box
> >> works too, I believe.
> >
> > The way SMB networking works[1] is that one computer on the network
> > declares itself the master browser. Other computers look for the MB
> > and ask it for the list of computers on the network.
> >
> > On your "myserver" running the samba server, do you have its firewall
> > open for all the Samba ports (both server and client)?
> >
> > [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Neighborhood
> >     (paragraph starting with "In a workgroup of...")
>
> Yes, I think all the right ports are open (/etc/sysconfig/iptables):
> # Samba [[[[
> -A INPUT -m state --state NEW -m udp -p udp --dport 137 -j ACCEPT
> -A INPUT -m state --state NEW -m udp -p udp --dport 138 -j ACCEPT
> -A INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 139 -j ACCEPT
> -A INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 445 -j ACCEPT
> # ]]]]
---
# nmbd running?
systemctl status nmb.service

# start it?
systemctl start nmb.service

# start it at startup
systemctl enable nmb.service

# CLI method to check connections...
smbclient -L IP_ADDRESS_OF_SERVER -U $SOME_VALID_USER

ie...

# smbclient -L 192.168.2.5 -U craig
Enter craig's password:
Domain=[AZAPPLE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.7]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        netlogon        Disk      Network Logon Service
        print$          Disk
        Storage         Disk      Main File Storage
        Media           Disk      Media Storage
        CD              Disk      CD virtual drive
        Win 2K XP       Disk      Windows updates for 32 bit
        Linux           Disk      Linux Updates
        Macintosh Classic Disk      Macintosh Classic OS Updates
        Macintosh OSX   Disk      Macintosh OSX Updates
        Music           Disk      Music Files
        Software        Disk      Installer Images
        Documents       Disk      My Documents
        Movies          Disk      Main File Storage
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Main File Server)
        craig           Disk      Home Directories
Domain=[AZAPPLE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.7]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        LIN-WORKSTATION      Samba Server Version 3.6.3-78.fc16
        SRV2                 Main File Server

        Workgroup            Master
        AZAPPLE              SRV2

Now if network browsing is happening, you can use NAME instead of
IP_ADDRESS...

# smbclient -L SRV2 -U craig
Enter craig's password:
Domain=[AZAPPLE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.7]

QED

Craig

believed to be clean.