Can't download EPEL RPMs using /bin/rpm after the move from download.fedora.redhat.com to download.fedoraproject.org

Aleksey Tsalolikhin atsaloli.tech at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 04:10:43 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 1:18 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 12:45:58 -0800
> Aleksey Tsalolikhin <atsaloli.tech at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>  I can no longer download EPEL RPMs using /bin/rpm after the move from
>> download.fedora.redhat.com to download.fedoraproject.org.
>>
>> # rpm -ihv
>> http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/5/x86_64/epel-release-5-4.noarch.rpm
>> Retrieving
>> http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/5/x86_64/epel-release-5-4.noarch.rpm
>> error: skipping
>> http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/5/x86_64/epel-release-5-4.noarch.rpm
>> - transfer failed - Unknown or unexpected error
>> warning: u 0x1f5ebe20 ctrl 0x2010e500 nrefs != 0
>> (download.fedoraproject.org http)
>
> This is because download.fedoraproject.org is a redirect to a mirror.
> rpm (in rhel5) doesn't follow them.
>
>> Could you please fix this?
>
> You can wget the file and install it with yum/rpm locally, or you could
> use 'dl.fedoraproject.org' which is a direct hostname to the master
> mirrors.

OK.  Thank you.

I was following the procedure documented on the EPEL FAQ.  I'd like to
update this documentation on
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ#How_can_I_install_the_packages_from_the_EPEL_software_repository.3F

with the above workaround for RHEL 5.  How do I request edit privs on
the Wiki, please?  I don't see a link to register for a Wiki account.

Yours very truly,
Aleksey