how to get nm-applet switched on when making a LiveCD

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 09:53:50 UTC 2012

Hi Ranjan,

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 06:17, Ranjan Maitra <maitra at iastate.edu> wrote:
> It does switch to root without asking for password.
>
> However, starting nm-applet (as root) on the Live CD yields the
> following error (verbatim):

nm-applet is the gui, you need to start the service using systemctl
(systemd command). Look at the systemd wiki page, it has instructions on
how start and stop services, e.g.

# systemctl start NetworkManager.service

[...]

> Btw, I don't know if this is germane to the discussion but i did take
> out PackageKit during my LiveCD creation.
>
> Also, how do I know that whatever services I need are running? What are
> the services I need to get the main processes behind my LiveCD running?
> I guess I could figure this out by comparing with the LXDE LiveCD for
> instance.

What I was arriving at is, this shows your init script is not working
properly. Services like NetworkManager should be running on boot. I
would say your idea about comparing with the LXDE LiveCD is the way to
go. To check if you have the ones you need, you can compare with a
running system using systemctl commands.

If you don't mind my asking, what are you trying to achieve? Since it
doesn't have X, I am guessing you are trying to get a recovery CD of
some sort? If that is the case, I would just use one of the many minimal
Live distributions out there.

GL

--
Suvayu