how to get nm-applet switched on when making a LiveCD

Ranjan Maitra maitra at iastate.edu
Thu Mar 15 14:18:32 UTC 2012

> nm-applet is the gui, you need to start the service using systemctl
> (systemd command). Look at the systemd wiki page, it has instructions on
> how start and stop services, e.g.
>
> # systemctl start NetworkManager.service

Thanks, Suvayu!

I was able to do the above with my LiveCD. However, my nm-applet
(started as liveuser) does not have the ability to connect. I get:

** (nm-applet:1420): WARNING **:Failed to add/activate connection: Not
authorized to control networking
> > Also, how do I know that whatever services I need are running? What are
> > the services I need to get the main processes behind my LiveCD running?
> > I guess I could figure this out by comparing with the LXDE LiveCD for
> > instance.
>
> What I was arriving at is, this shows your init script is not working
> properly. Services like NetworkManager should be running on boot. I
> would say your idea about comparing with the LXDE LiveCD is the way to
> go. To check if you have the ones you need, you can compare with a
> running system using systemctl commands.
>
> If you don't mind my asking, what are you trying to achieve? Since it
> doesn't have X, I am guessing you are trying to get a recovery CD of
> some sort? If that is the case, I would just use one of the many minimal
> Live distributions out there.

What I am trying to achieve is a non-DE system but one with a window
manager. Perhaps more than that, how a novice can build a
LiveCD....Though I guess all this is proving that one needs to know
more than that...

My initscript is not that different from the one on LiveCD. But
clearly, I am dropping stuff I should not. I will just include the
two .ks files with this e-mail (perhaps they will make it through.)

Btw, my LiveCD does have X. It does not have a DE. (Separately, where
do I find a minimal Live distribution? I always have installed using
the boot.iso.)

Anyway, thanks again for all the continuing help!

Best wishes,
Ranjan