Power off button acting differently?

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Thu Mar 15 14:44:32 UTC 2012

Subject:        	Re: Power off button acting differently?
From:           	Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>
To:             	users at lists.fedoraproject.org
Date sent:      	Thu, 15 Mar 2012 09:12:03 -0500

> On Thu, 2012-03-15 at 18:42 +1000, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> > I've recently noticed that my classroom machines are acting
> > differently when using the power button to shut down. With past
> > versions and originally with Fedora 16, the power button would cause
> > it to do the same as a shutdown. But know it seems to go into a
> > hibernation mode, and the power light is blinking.
> >
> > Attempts to get it to wake up fail, and only pressing and holding
> > the power button in to shut it down, or removing power will get it
> > to go off. Then for some reason, it will then boot up, and then
> > restart again before going to a normal operation?
> >
> > Is there some setting to get the power button to do a shutdown and
> > not a hibernation or sleep?
> The system is not designed to have you shutdown the operating system
> by holding the power button. That is a hardware related issue. If you
> try that while running Windows it would give you an error message when
> you rebooted. To shut down you can either use the option in the menu
> or run: poweroff or run: shutdown -h

Pressing the power button for many years has worked fine for
both Windows and Fedora to start a shutdown on these systems.
It is only recently that pressing the button while at the fedora
logon screen, it goes it to what appears to be some kind of
hibernation mode with the power light blinking. Touching the
keyboard seems to make it seem to do something, but it never
wakes up, and at that point Ctrl-Alt-Del, and any other
combination of keys do nothing. Only pressing and holding the
power button will shut it down or turning off the power on the
power supply. Then the next restart requires another restart.
Windows XP will do a regular shutdown when pressing the power
button.

These machines are from 2005 with AMD FX 55 64bit CPUs.

Have found some kernel options that I will try to see if they affect
the process.

> --

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI        11926173.979681   |   EINSTEIN     7492607.729852
ROSETTA      4310274.120874   |   ABC         11692116.681891