question on Firefox and Thunderbird in F14 (yes, F14)

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Mar 16 06:20:42 UTC 2012

To all:

I recently got a notice on my Windows box about a security upgrade for
Firefox and Thunderbird, which I properly applied. I logged into my F14
box and did a yum update and saw no update.

Yes, I know F14 is EOL, but I am wondering why Firefox and Thunderbird
didn't update. Am I to assume that they are not "3rd party apps" and
when F14 went EOL, any updates made to them were not ported over?

I am holding onto this on F14 machine for the duration of Maya beta
testing (Maya locked on F14) and will convert to F16 once that is over.
But I am kinda bummed if, during the window until April 14th when
Mozilla pulls support on the older versions), any updates don't get
treated as 3rd party updates and picked up by yum.

My experience has always been that Fedora picks up stuff quicker than
Windows ...

To site one example, I now have Thunderbird 3.1.20 on Windows but F14 is
3.1.19 and isn't seeing an update.

Am I reading this situation correctly?

Thanks in advance,
Paul