question on Firefox and Thunderbird in F14 (yes, F14)

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Mar 16 06:39:18 UTC 2012

On 3/15/2012 11:30 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 03/16/2012 02:20 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
>> To site one example, I now have Thunderbird 3.1.20 on Windows but F14 is 3.1.19 and
>> isn't seeing an update.
>>
>> Am I reading this situation correctly?
> The situation is as it should be.  You will *not* be getting any updates to *any*
> packages for F14 which are in the "Fedora Repositories".
>
> The "Firefox" and "Thunderbird" maintainers take what is released by Mozilla and
> package if for "Fedora" (they roll in all the language support, for instance) and
> place it in the "Fedora Repositories" to be updated by yum or whatever you use to
> update your system.
>
> They have stopped doing that for F14.
>
> Time to update to F16 or time to install your FF and TB directly from Mozilla.  I do
> that on one of my RHEL systems and get notified of new updates.

Ed:

Thanks for the confirm about what I thought. Its an interesting bind
that Thunderbird and Firefox can be part of a Fedora release and, once
that release is EOL, any changes aren't picked up (as in Abode Flash).

Yes, I am wanting to upgrade and the Maya window is finite, so I'll do
mail/browsing on Windows until the beta program is over and/or the
Mozilla kill date in April shows up.

Paul