ldconfig issue after compiling and installing software

Rick Stevens rstevens at corp.alldigital.com
Fri Mar 16 16:51:01 UTC 2012

On 03/15/2012 06:56 PM, Steven Oliver wrote:
> I'm currently pulling the falcon programming language from git and
> installing it myself instead of pulling it from yum.
>
> After pulling it, compiling it, and installing it (sudo make install)
> it's failing to run telling me:
>
> root at odrade:/usr/local/lib $ falcon
> falcon: error while loading shared libraries: libfalcon_engine.so.1:
>
> My first thought, as I'm sure most of yours will be was to check
> ldconfig so i tried:
>
> root at odrade:/usr/local/lib $ ldconfig -v | grep falcon
>
> And it returns nothing. The falcon libraries appear to be correctly
> installed:
>
> root at odrade:/usr/local/lib $ ls
> falcon libfalcon_engine.so libfalcon_engine.so.1 libfalcon_engine.so.1.22.2
>
> And I updated ld.so.conf to include /usr/local/lib before running ldconfig:
>
> root at odrade:/etc $ cat ld.so.conf
> include ld.so.conf.d/*.conf
> include /usr/local/lib

"include /usr/local/lib" does not put /usr/local/lib in the ldconfig,
it's telling ldconfig to include any .conf files in /usr/local/lib.

The correct solution is to create an "/etc/ld.so.conf.d/local.conf" file
containing the single line:

	/usr/local/lib

Then running "ldconfig -v" or "ldconfig -v | grep falcon" (if you want
to verify it gets loaded). I didn't name the new file "falcon.conf"
because this will work for any library installed in /usr/local/lib and
so it's a bit more generic.