Working with large directories

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Mar 16 23:31:03 UTC 2012

Am 17.03.2012 00:25, schrieb fred smith:
>> I've used the emelFM2 file manager as an alternative, it doesn't show
>> thumbnails of files.  And it does let you do some wildcarding to
>> show/hide files in the lister gadget.
>
> I think it's most likely not that nautilus, etc., are slow in
> large directories, it is that large directories take a long time
> to search for files, making any action on those directories much
> slower than normal. A "problem" of long-standing on pretty much
> all Unix(-ish) file systems (and I'm not saying it won't happen on
> other systems, I don't really know, but suspect it does.)

it is ALWAYS a problem of the filemanager and NEVER of the FS
a filemanager counting subitems, generating previews and
in the worst case waits until he has the whole folder enumerated
sucks with many files, the second worst is konqueror currently
with his "count items"-behavior even on sshfs-mounts

the really worst case is Apple Finder, open a folder with 30000
files and it waits until he can display the whole content

on the same fileserver (fedora with smb/netatalk) konqueror
over SMB starts to display the folder long before it has the
whole listing-informations and while you scroll down the list
is growing

the filesystem itself is not interested if there are 30000
files in one folder or 10 folders with 1000 files