recover from a bad F16 install

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Mar 18 03:50:03 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-03-17 at 18:40 -0700, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> I now have a machine that is "a brick". There is no operating system
> on it as that got destroyed and any attempts to do a fresh install
> come back with "No usable disks have been found" and I can't make any
> progress.

Is that at a stage where you're asked whether to use whole discs, free
space on a disc, etc., or before that sort of question.

I ask because people often get caught at this stage.  "Free space" is
unpartitioned space on a drive, not an unused partition.

If the problem is not that, or before then, chances are that you can
CTRL+ALT+F (one of the function keys, try one until you get to a shell).
Where you could run partitioning software from the command line.  If you
simply want to make a whole disc blank for the install to use the whole
thing, you could use something like fdisc to install an empty partition
table to the drive.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686