recover from a bad F16 install

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Sun Mar 18 04:49:41 UTC 2012

On 3/17/2012 6:56 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 03/18/2012 09:40 AM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
>> For what it is worth, I used the same DVD and am now doing a fresh install on a
>> third machine. First and third machines are HP x4000 and the second "brick" is HP
>> xw8000. I'm hard-pressed to believe it is a difference between x4000 and xw8000,
>> but I thought it ought to mention.
> IMO, the easiest thing to do would be to boot a LiveCD and use the disk tools to
> examine the partition tables and then to remove them all and relabel the disk.

Ed:

Though I appreciate the suggestion, I can't get any further progress
once I do the install to hard drive option ... its does the same "No
usable disks" message (and therefore no option to try anything).

Tried the troubleshooting options and still no progress. I did see the
memtest86 option and, though it sure looks like its my hard disks that
are out-of-whack as they are only partly formatted, I figured I'd run
the test just so I don't have to say "pilot error" because there's a
problem there.

Paul