recover from a bad F16 install

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Sun Mar 18 05:46:48 UTC 2012

On 3/17/2012 10:37 PM, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 10:03 PM, Paul Allen Newell<pnewell at cs.cmu.edu>  wrote:
>>> I don't think I ever suggested doing an install to hard drive....
>>>
>>> I was suggesting you check out the disk partitions using something like
>>> parted to see
>>> how things are set up.  Did you do that?
>>>
>> Ed:
>>
>> Oh, I did misread you and I apologize. Since I had never used a Live CD, I
>> jumped to the faulty conclusion that its install to hard disk was different
>> than the installation DVD.
>>
>> PartedMagic was the one option I asked about in my original email and it
>> looks like that or the other two suggestions of sysresccd.org or fdisc will
>> keep me busy tomorrow. I don't see parted when I did a which so I figured it
>> was PartedMagic. I just tried as root on my working system and see it (saved
>> myself an email about how I have to be root see it). As the memtest86 is
>> going to go for a long time, I was under the impression that the LiveCD user
>> doesn't have "root" access to munge with the hard drives et al ... am I
>> mistaken?
> Odd, `parted` has been included on every Fedora LiveCD I've ever used.
>
> To get root on a LiveCD just open a terminal and run `su -`, no
> password required.
>
>> One good thing is I finally have a Live CD image that works. Every other
>> time I've tried to create one it has been a horrible failure.
>>
>> Paul
> -T.C.
T.C.:

Thanks for reply. I discovered about 5 minutes ago that memtest86 passed
and, when I use the Live CD, su works as there is no password (as I
mentioned, this is the first time I have been able to get a working
LiveCD created).

On both the LiveCD and the installation DVD troubleshot into a bash
shell, I am getting "parted - Invalid partition table - recursive
partition on /dev/sr0" and I am pretty certain it is looking at the
CD/DVD as that's the device it displays. So I don't know whether I am
even able to get at the hardware via parted/cfdisk (???)

I went through the options on parted and cfdisk and, to be honest,
couldn't make sense of them.

I've never done partitioning before except through successful
installations, so I got alot of reading to do (or accept that I've got a
"brick"). I am also going to look at the sysresccd site and see if it
presents me with easier to understand access.

All I want to do is get it back to a sane minimal state that I can run
the installation DVD and let it do the proper partitioning.

Paul