Setting default $PATH

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun Mar 18 17:27:17 UTC 2012

enclair wrote:
> Hi,
>
> By default in Fedora /usr/local/bin is before /usr/bin
> Where is it defined?
> In /etc/profile, only /usr/local/sbin is set.

You can check .bash_profile and .bashrc I forget where it is by default
since I set things a bit myself. I have a site wide NFS mounted
filesystem with lots of stuff in that, so my path setting is somewhat
complex. In order of priority, arch=$(uname -m):
   ${HOME}/bin/${arch}		user personal versions
   /usr/local/${arch}		machine local
   /opt/bin			machine local
   /common/bin/${arch}		site local
then the rest of what was set by default.

NOTE: my PATH *never* includes "." to prevent accidental running of
something I never intended. The PATH setting is called from .bashrc,
macros and aliases are only defined for interactive shells, not scripts.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>