memory corruption with 3.2.10

Ranjan Maitra maitra at iastate.edu
Mon Mar 19 01:18:34 UTC 2012

Hi,

So a problem which has plagued me for the past 6 months is back with
3.2.10 (it seemed to have gone away with 3.2.9).

So here is the problem: I hibernate (this is what causes it to happen
most frequently). Sometimes it comes back just fine, other times
especially after the second time, I get a bunch of layman gibberish
(basically memory address violation notations for want of a better
phrase). There has never been any trace of this anywhere, so filing a
meaningful bug report is not clear to me. (Wrt hibernate, it has never
had a problem the first time the machine is hibernated upon reboot).

Anyone know of how I can track this down: better still get rid of this?

FWIW, I am running F16 with the 64-bit LXDE spin: this problem has been
around since F15 (maybe the fag end of F14, but went away seemingly
with F16: 3.2.9). Also, the offending piece of equipment is a IBM
Thinkpad T61 running an Intel Centrino Pro dual-core (4.5 years old)
with 4 GB memory.

Note that a much older (9 years) dual-processor Dell Precision 650
running essentially the same set of programs (but not hibernating since
it is a desktop) has never had problems: the above issue shows up in
this laptop even with non-hibernate tasks (usually javascript or so),
but with far less frequency.

Many thanks and best wishes,
Ranjan