Blocked Ports

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Mar 19 09:19:26 UTC 2012

On 03/19/2012 05:02 PM, Mike Dwiggins wrote:
> This takes a restart from scratch!
>
> My base Network setup was a wired Network which got it's DHCP from a Linksys
> Wireless gateway.  The WAN connection to the Linksys was through a Fedora 14 Server.
>
> I have two Servers both of which have a Fixed Routeable address from my ISP.  I was
> working just fine with my below described Firewall setup until I tried to connect a
> DirectTV HD DVR via the Network.  This is when I found the blocked Port problem as
> described below.
>
> The first reply I got asked what system-config-firewall showed, it seemed like a
> reasonable question so I ran the program.  I looked and the program had nothing
> about the ports in question so I closed it!
>
> Immediately thereafter I could get nothing through the Server out to the Internet!
> I can ping to the output address of the Linksys but, nothing further from inside
> the house.  I can access the Internet from the server but not from behind it.  It
> seems the problem has just gotten worse and I have no idea how.
>
> ip route shows a valid routing from the interior facing port to the exterior facing
> port but, nothing seems to pass.

Let me just say that I'm a bit confused.  When someone asks about ports and them
being closed it refers to "inbound" connections.  But, now you seems you are tying to
make a connection to the internet from behind a F14 system (acting as a firewall?)
and can't connect....for example to http://fedoraproject.org/.

So, is your problem trying to access the internet or the internet trying to access a
server ?

--
Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own. You may both
be wrong. -- Dandemis