F15 - X at 100% with nVidia

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Mon Mar 19 22:55:42 UTC 2012

Hello,

I have an onboard nVidia graphics chip, and so am using the nVidia
drivers from rpmfusion.

I have noticed that usually once I start to browse the web (no
particular sites), the cpu usage for the X process goes up to around
100%. I have an AMD dual-core processor, so I can still do things, but
obviously something is wrong.

Has anyone else noticed this? I'm wondering if there is some (xorg.conf)
option that would help here. I've had a look at the nVidia forums, and
although there seem to be several scenarios where 100% cpu usage occurs,
and some suggested solutions, the ones I have tried made no difference.

I intend to upgrade to F17 when it is released, but I'm wondering if the
version of X or nVidia driver at F17 are going to be any better. (I
tried the F17 alpha, but there were no rpmfusion drivers for F17, so I
had to use nouveau.)

Thanks,

John.

--
John Horne, Plymouth University, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287    Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001