how to get nm-applet switched on when making a LiveCD

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 14:38:47 UTC 2012

Hi Ranjan,

I'm adding the cc to the list for the sake of archiving. Also I'm not an
expert, so someone else can correct me if I say something incorrect.

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 14:18, Ranjan Maitra <maitra at iastate.edu> wrote:
> Thanks, Suvayu! I did not because of the following question: How do I
> put this file in the /etc/xdg/autostart/ directory while making the
> LiveCD? The system tray (stalonetray) will need to be started also
> before this. Somehow that has to be done too.

Towards the end of %post just put the file as you would do in a shell
script. Something like the following should work.

cat > /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop <<EOF
# contents go here, you can copy from your current install
EOF

> Also, will this also start the NetworkManager service?

No. You have to explicitly enable and start using the systemctl command
I mentioned earlier in the thread (but I still think this should be
enabled by default, not sure why it doesn't work for you). This should
also be put in the %post section of the kickstart file.

HTH

--
Suvayu