Timezones and SELinux...

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 14:25:15 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, 21. March 2012. 9.01.55 you wrote:
> On 03/21/2012 07:28 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> >
> > After the yum update, both before and after the restart of the
> > system (there was a new kernel as well), my timezone setting is
> > wrong (again) --- it is set to Lisbon (GMT), which was my previous
> > setting, rather than Belgrade (GMT+1) which was my current setting
> > (prior to update). AFAIK, this should not happen unless I ask for
> > the timezone change.
> >
> > Second, when I open systemsettings to change the timezone, after
> > clicking "apply" and giving the root password, the timezone change
> > fails, and SELinux gives an alert:
>
> dac_overrride means that you have a process running as root trying to
> modify a file that is not owned by root.  Usually this means you have
> a file with the incorrect ownership.
>
> Now the audit log did not give you the full path, but you can get it
> by following the instructions detailed here.
>
> http://danwalsh.livejournal.com/34903.html

Thanks Dan! I followed your advice on that page and managed to track down
several files in my system with the wrong context. A restorecon on that files
fixed the problem. Just to be on the safe side, I did a systemwide restorecon,
and fixed some additional files...

Timezone can now be changed successfully. :-)

Best, :-)
Marko