grubby fatal error: unable to find a suitable template

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 12:53:53 UTC 2012

On updating my F16 system via yum I got the following:

Installing : kernel-3.3.0-4.fc16.x86_64                                                                                       28/56
grubby fatal error: unable to find a suitable template

However the system boots fine with no apparent problems.

F16 was originally installed by updating F15, so it still has both grub
and grub2 directories under /boot. The default stanza in grub2/grub.cfg
reflects the new kernel, so why the alarming error message?

poc