Fedora disimprovements: am I alone?

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 22 13:05:03 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-03-22 at 12:56 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I wonder if I am alone in finding some of the developments in Fedora-16
> actually make life harder for the user?
>
> I'd take grub2 and systemctl as two examples.
> In each case I've read the documentation and understand the motivation
> behind these developments.
> But I remain unconvinced that the gains outweigh the disadvantages
> of methods that are much harder to configure and use.
>
> I don't think this is just a matter of unfamiliarity.
> I think one can say objectively that the new methods
> are more complicated than those they replace.
>
> As a crude measure of complication the new commands
> take longer to type than the old,
> eg "systemctl start openvpn at client.service"
> compared with "start service openvpn".
>
> And the output of the new commands seems much more verbose than the old:
> eg compare the output of "systemctl -a" or "systemctl list-units"
> with that of "chkconfig --list".
>
> Could anyone bringing in these changes have honestly answered "Yes"
> if asked whether the new method would simplify life for the user?
I'll say this. I recently went to read the grub2 documentation and found
this product rather obtuse and complex. As an example trying to figure
out the camparative roles of grub2-mkconfig and grub2-install.
One would think that grub2-install wold have to run grub2-mkinstall but
as far as I can see it doesn't. How confusing!

Money isn't everything -- but it's a long way ahead of what comes next.
-- Sir Edmond Stockdale
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net